Intro

Food is Life! Let's Come Back to The Table and Enjoy It Together.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Extraordinary Food Memories #2








There was a woman that I called Abuela, even though she was not actually my grandmother.  Abuela is one of the most influential cooks I have come across in my life.  Everything she made was amazingly simple, flavorful, well executed Cuban cuisine.  She used the freshest ingredients and took extra care in preparing everything, including grinding her own spices.  She was clean, efficient, and knew proportions without thinking.  Not only was she an amazing cook, but she became one of my mentors.  Several times a week I would go over to her house so that I could observe how she made her food.  I always asked a lot of questions, which never seemed to phase her.  With each question came a quick answer and then an even quicker nudge towards the preparation area.  She would demonstrate to me with little words being exchanged, and then she expected me to do it myself.  Each time we were in the kitchen, it was like a journey into the realm of a magician.  Abuela was magical and always remained happy when in the kitchen.  Before she began to show me how to cook her native cuisine, she always asked me if I was happy, how my day was, and if I was feeling upset.  She explained to me that if I had any negative feelings before going into the kitchen, that my food would not turn out right.  Happiness was the main ingredient in everything we did.  Her best dishes that still resound in my memory are:  Ropa Vieja, Chuletas de Puerco , Picadillo,  Arroz con Pollo, and Ajiaco Cubano.  Abuela thank you, for all you taught me.  Your magical spirit in the kitchen is what I always strive to maintain when I am creating at home or at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment